On June 22nd, Riverside celebrated the opening of The Friendship Place, in memory of grade 2 student, Thomas Rancourt. Staff and students made the day a special one through shared music, painted friendship messages and time spent with each other enjoying our new special place.
We would like to thank some very important individuals and companies from our extended Riverside community who donated time, skills and products to create this wonderful addition to our school yard.
Thank you to:
- Noah Morgan, one of our grade 7 students, who built and donated the bench as his “Pay it Forward” school project
- Christine Barkey Graham and Mike Graham of Huntsville Home Hardware who donated Thomas’ tree and various other landscaping materials for the gardens in the Friendship Place
- Matt Hutcheson of Muskoka Split Rock, who donated rock, as well as his labour to design and create the walkway to the Friendship place
- Julianna and Stew Cushman from Cushman Stone & Gravel who donated the beautiful piece of stone to identify the special reason for the Friendship Place
- McFadyen’s Stone Quarry, who donated flagstone for the walkway
- Billingsley’s Funeral Home who helped to organize the plaque for Thomas’ Tree
Thank you for helping to create a special place where our students may meet new people, sit and talk with old friends, remember special people and build lasting friendships.